Thursday, May 21, 2009

Blessed by a stranger

I just had the nicest thing happen. First, let me explain why it made me so happy. James left for work before the sun was up this morning - quite an accomplishment since the sun rises before 6:30am. He had a lot of work to do and didn't get much done last night due to not feeling well, the kids having a rough bedtime, and me trying to get a few things done while he was home. That meant I took Katherine to school. Doesn't sound like much of an issue, but Katherine expected James to take her to school. She does not deal well with changes - no idea where she gets that :).

Additionally, I didn't sleep much last night. Jack was restless and I couldn't sleep so we were up and down until the wee hours, coming downstairs several times to give James a chance to sleep uninterrupted. Once we were all up Katherine informed me that although she woke up dry, she didn't feel like getting up to go to the bathroom so she wet her pull-up (and subsequently her pajamas) - fully awake, in bed, 10 feet from a toilet...fabulous. Of course we were running late so she had to eat her cereal (dry) in the car on the way to school.

I finally dropped her off, then decided to run through the Starbucks drive-thru because they have these new breakfast sandwiches that are yummy. That and a venti chai - $7 I really don't need to spend right now, but I went anyway. So, I order and make it up to the window to pay only to be told by the cashier that the woman in the car in front of me had paid for my order! She told him that someone had done it for her before so she was doing it for me. How nice is that!?

I am now on the lookout for ways to pay it forward. I would prefer to do it for someone who looks like they really need it, but in these times how can you tell who really needs it? Not everyone stands by a street corner holding a sign, asking for help.

I usually try to give food to people I see holding signs at intersections - since I do that anyway, what else can I do? Ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment